Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society of Pennsylvania, Inc.
Monthly Business Meeting
Hoss’s Steak and Sea House, East York, PA
Saturday, July 8, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Bob Kuether, President called the meeting to order at 2:10 pm, welcomed everyone and led the Pledge of Allegiance. No new members or guests were present.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Bob Kuether reminded everyone the June Meeting Minutes are available for review at the table and he will ask for approval later in the meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Judy Kuether reported there are 374 members paid for 2022-2023. There was one new member, Barry Martin from Lancaster.
MEMBERS’ BRIDGE REPORTS:
Greg Williams – Fox 43 (TV) is running a commercial about Landisburg, including Rice Bridge.
George Rothlingshofer – George saw Red’s Bridge beside the campgrounds. He reported the abutment and decking have been fixed.
President Bob Kuether – The Society will paint Sach’s Bridge on Saturday, August 5th, starting at 9:00 am. Bill Stockum will be at the Bridge from August 1st – 4th to paint the sides. The estimated cost for wood/repairs for the bridge is $6,200; the National Society is giving $5,000 towards this cost. Total cost for the Society is around $10,000. Please sign-up if you are able to help paint or apply No-Char.
First Vice-President Jim Smedley – Jim and Gloria Smedley visited Poole Forge Bridge and noted about 80 boards were replaced (original estimate was 150 boards). On vacation, they saw an authentic truss, 120 foot long, pedestrian covered bridge in Edgemont, South Dakota (World Guide SD-23-01).
Second Vice-President Ray Finkelstein – Not present. Ray provided an e-mail update on Bogart’s Bridge for upcoming bid dates with construction to start in May 2024.
Third Vice-President Frank Mailey – No report.
Fourth Vice-President Tony Abramo – No report.
Recording Secretary Pam Mailey – Pam and Frank Mailey visited Mennonite Life (listed in the Lancaster Hospitality Days Coupon Book) and took the tour of the Geneology and Mennonite History Library. In this room was a large model (floor to ceiling) of Hunsecker’s Mill Bridge, built by Leon H. Martin of Leola PA, a retired mason. The project took about 2 years to complete with 190 hours invested in working on the model and about 25 trips to the Hunsecker’s Mill Bridge for measurements and pictures.
Corresponding Secretary Pam Heisey – No report.
Treasurer Judy Kuether – No report.
Historian Fred Moll – Not present. Fred provided an e-mail update that the Berks County Commissioners were to get back to him in June about painting Griesemer’s Mill Bridge. After the accident an emergency permit was issued for repairs. He visited the bridge and found nothing was done with the road still closed.
Jim Smedley reported the deadline to submit information for the Fall Edition of PA Crossings Newsletter is Sunday, October 1st.
ILLNESS/DEATH OF MEMBERS:
(1) Ray Finkelstein is having heart valve replacement surgery on July 13th.
(2) Gloria Wolfhope has the boot off her foot but is still in a lot of pain.
(3) Connie McLaughlin continues with chemotherapy to be followed by surgery, then more chemotherapy. (4) Frank Mailey is recovering from surgery on his blocked carotid artery last week.
(5) Pam Mailey is having arthroscopic knee surgery in 2 weeks.
(1) Jim and Gloria Smedley provided an update on the September Safari to VT. The route is complete for Group A; Bill Caswell is finalizing the route for Group B. T-shirt orders are due July 15th; 74 have been ordered to date. They are still working on lunches and rest stops; estimate about $30 for 2 box lunches and one pizza lunch. Connie McLaughlin reported the patch design is about finished and will be sent to Moritz Embroidery Works.
(2) Marianne Calabrese read the list of Nominees for Officers for 2023-2025 and asked for any nominations from the floor (none). Voting will be at the September 10th meeting.
(3) Bob Kuether stated 2024 Calendars are available for sale today ($11).
(1) Jim Smedley shared an email about McGees Mills Bridge and its 150th year celebration on Saturday October 7th. TBCBSP is invited to attend, however it is the weekend of the Covered Bridge Festival in Bloomsburg.
(2) Judy Kuether provided an update on the Society’s Liability Insurance and the coverage which changed to Erie Insurance for the same coverage, but costs $400 less.
(3) The Bloomsburg Covered Bridge and Arts Festival is October 5th – 8th with set-up on Wednesday, October 4th. Volunteers are needed for set-up, tear down and working the festival.
COVERED BRIDGE ITEMS: Bonnie Shultz shared a Clearfield County article about McGees Mills Bridge and a covered bridge magnet with hanging charms.
NEXT MEETING: Our next meeting is August 6, 2023 at Saint Paul Episcopal Church in Columbia, PA with the program “Drawing and Painting Covered Bridges” by Ted Smith. There will also be an ice cream social.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The June 2023 minutes were approved as presented.
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 2:45 pm.
Respectfully Submitted by Pam Mailey, Recording Secretary, July 31, 2023