Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society of Pennsylvania, Inc.
Monthly Business Meeting
Yoder’s Restaurant & Buffet, New Holland, PA
Sunday, May 7, 2023
The TBCBSP held their 64th Anniversary Dinner at Yoder’s Restaurant & Buffet, beginning with a brunch buffet at 11:30am followed by the monthly meeting. President Bob Kuether called the meeting to order at 1:00pm, welcomed everyone and led the Pledge of Allegiance. No new members/guests were present.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Bob Kuether reminded everyone the April Meeting Minutes are available for review at the side table; he will ask for approval later in the meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Judy Kuether reported there were no new members in April with current membership of 373, 9 less than a year ago.
MEMBERS’ BRIDGE REPORTS:
Pat Cook – Pat viewed a show on PCN in April about the Covered Bridge Festival in Bloomsburg.
Joe McCarthy – Joe’s Company repaired 2 bridges in Lancaster County: the portal at Leaman’s Place and the portal/rafters at Forry’s Mill. He submitted an estimate to repair Weaver’s Mill Bridge and Waterford Bridge in Erie County (the latter will be torn down, moved to his company’s site and rebuilt).
Tim McLaughlin – Tim/Connie set-up the covered bridge display at the PA Welcome Center in Erie County for See PA’s Covered Bridges Week. They visited Sherman’s Creek and Waterford Bridges (looks rough). Tim reported Banks looks nice, painted white on both inside and outside.
President Bob Kuether – Bob visited Sach’s and Jack’s Mountain Covered Bridges with Bill Stockum, painter, to discuss painting and to obtain his estimated cost.
First Vice-President Jim Smedley – Jim/Gloria set-up the covered bridge display at the I-83 PA Welcome Center near Maryland for See PA’s Covered Bridges Week. They visited numerous covered bridges: 3 in Delaware, Foxcatcher Farms (MD), Glen Hope, Linton Stephens, Speakman #1, Pine Grove, White Rock and Lime Valley. Jim reported all were in nice condition except for Foxcatcher Farms that hasn’t been repaired since damaged in Hurricane Ida. They also visited 5 of 6 bridges in Lehigh County: Wehr’s (sideboard damage), Rex’s (twisted at portal end), Geiger’s, Schlicher’s and Guth’s (last 3 looked nice). Jim received notice that FEMA and PEMA have approved funds to repair South Perkasie that was damaged in Hurricane Ida (The Borough of Perkasie has now received $668,554 in funding for repairs). Ray Finkelstein provided Jim with information about Clinton County Landmarks Puzzle Contest focusing on Logan Mills Covered Bridge; the contest ends May 15th (check website for more information).
Second Vice-President Ray Finkelstein – Not present. Ray sent his thanks for the get-well wishes and cards. He sent a report that Zimmerman’s Bridge is off the abutments and to be repaired by end of October. He saw Rock Bridge in Schuylkill County which is in excellent shape. He also visited Kutz’s Mill Bridge in Berks County which has many structural issues.
Third Vice-President Frank Mailey – Frank/Pam set-up the covered bridge display at the I-81 PA Welcome Center in Franklin County for See PA’s Covered Bridges Week.
Fourth Vice-President Tony Abramo – Tony read an article from 1948 in The Lancaster Sun, Living Section that reported Factory Bridge was being dismantled that year.
Recording Secretary Pam Mailey – Pam helped Bob/Judy Kuether to arrange and inventory items from the Country Store and helped to make the table favors for today. Pam also presented a PowerPoint on PA’s Covered Bridges to the Mechanicsburg Church of the Brethren for their Lunch and Learn Program on April 19th. Frank Mailey and Jim/Gloria Smedley also attended. Pam presented the Society with a $50 check from her presentation, for the Preservation Fund.
Corresponding Secretary Pam Heisey – No report.
Treasurer Judy Kuether – Judy and Ed Myers went to Pike County and Delaware Gap to set-up the covered bridge displays at the PA Welcome Centers for See PA’s Covered Bridges Week.
Historian Fred Moll – Fred visited Griesemer’s Mill Bridge and reported paint is peeling on all 4 sides with a mold-like substance and graffiti on the interior. He will consider writing a letter to the Commissioner’s after election to consider painting the bridge.
NEWSLETTER EDITORS: Jim Smedley reported the deadline to submit information for the Summer Edition of PA Crossings Newsletter is Sunday, May 28th.
ILLNESS/DEATH OF MEMBERS:
(1) Ray Finkelstein had emergency hernia surgery and is to be scheduled for a heart cath.
(2) Gloria Wolfhope broke her ankle after 2 falls and is wearing a “boot”.
(3) Ginny Eyrich fell again, but is home.
(4) Tim McLaughlin is having surgery to replace leads in pacemaker.
(5) Connie McLaughlin was diagnosed with breast cancer; having more tests to determine next steps.
(1) Jim Smedley provided an update on the 2024 Calendars; receipt has been delayed about a week.
(2) Contact Tony Abramo with any questions about the one-day Mini-Safari on Saturday, May 20th. Contact Total drive time is expected to be 6 hours including time for lunch at an area restaurant.
(3) Judy Kuether noted that April’s Bake Sale netted $263 and the Easter Egg Sales netted $154.
(4) Bob Kuether reminded all of See PA’s Covered Bridges Week May 13th -21st.
(5) Bob Kuether reported on the quotes for painting Sach’s ($8,200) and Jack’s Mountain ($5,400) Bridges. He will be meeting with representatives from Adams County to discuss Sach’s Bridge.
(5) Judy Kuether reported she will be sending out the Application for Sales Tax Exemption this week.
(6) Jim Smedley provided an update on the September Safari to VT. Connie McLaughlin completed the design for the Safari T-shirt (Morgan Covered Bridge). Information on ordering will be sent soon.
(1) Gloria Smedley read the Governor’s 2023 Proclamation for See PA’s Covered Bridges Week.
(2) Christine Weaver provided the Lancaster County Visitor’s Center Hospitality Booklets to members to receive discounts on Lancaster County activities in May and June.
(3) Judy Kuether handed out cards for our July lunch/fundraiser at Hoss’ in York.
(4) Pam Mailey discussed the option to sell Hoss’ gift cards as an additional fundraiser. Each card costs $10, is worth $10 at Hoss’ and the Society would receive $2 for each card sold. Judy Kuether will contact the representative.
(5) Joe and Joanne McCarthy are the Nominating Committee for Election of Officers this September for 2023-2025. Please speak to one of them if you are interested in becoming an Officer.
(6) Bob Kuether will have miscellaneous items from the Country Store for sale at the June meeting.
(7) Bob Kuether announced the Country Store has some new and miscellaneous things for sale at the side tables, including donations and items advertising the Christmas in Gettysburg Movie.
COVERED BRIDGE ITEMS:
(1) Gloria Smedley showed her covered bridge shirt from Boscov’s.
(2) Connie McLaughlin shared a calendar with drawings of local bridges from 1982, by Gordon McClean
NEXT MEETING: Our next meeting is June 11, 2023 at Saint Paul Episcopal Church in Columbia.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The April 2023 minutes were approved as presented.
NO PROGRAM TODAY: 64th Anniversary Dinner
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 pm.
Respectfully Submitted by Pam Mailey, Recording Secretary, June 6, 2023