Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society of Pennsylvania, Inc.
Monthly Business Meeting
Saint Paul Episcopal Church, Columbia, PA
Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 2:00pm
President Bob Kuether called the meeting to order at 2:00pm. He welcomed everyone and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Bob Kuether reminded all the September Meeting Minutes are available for review at the back table; he will ask for approval later in the meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Judy Kuether reported there were 2 new members in August and 5 new members in September giving a total of 199 members paid for 2022-2023.
Greg Williams – Greg attended the Carlisle Masonic Temple Car Show; the dash plaque that was handed out had a picture of Adairs Bridge.
Pat Cook – Pat found her new postcard of Frankenmuth Covered Bridge in Michigan.
President Bob Kuether – No report.
First Vice-President Jim Smedley – No report.
Second Vice-President Ray Finkelstein – Not present; emailed report. (1) Ray visited Geiger’s Bridge; the slate roof is almost finished and siding is complete but natural wood at this point. The original bridge was painted red. (2) PennDOT has accepted Ray as the contact person from our society for Bogert’s Bridge. They are seeking consulting parties and will include Ray. The scope kick-off meeting was recently held with the city (who is the applicant for the grant money); the engineer is Lehman. (3) Ray received a few stories on covered bridges for the next issue of Wooden Covered Spans. Please send him your special experiences and memories at a covered bridge or your favorite covered bridge and why.
Third Vice-President Frank Mailey – No report.
Fourth Vice-President Tony Abramo – Tony and Karen stopped at Hyde Hall Covered Bridge in July and picked up a small puzzle at their gift shop. They also found a bridge decoration for the yard at Root’s.
Recording Secretary Pam Mailey – Pam reported she has worked 5 days at Bob Kuether’s house and storage unit to sort, inventory and pack totes/boxes for the Bloomsburg Covered Bridge Arts Festival next week. Gloria and Jim Smedley and Judy Kuether assisted.
Corresponding Secretary Pam Heisey – No report.
Treasurer Judy Kuether – No report.
Historian Fred Moll – Not present; emailed report. Fred is doing a PowerPoint program on “Berks County Covered Bridges” at the Berks History Center on December 10th.
NEWSLETTER EDITORS: Jim Smedley reported the deadline for the Fall PA Crossings Newsletter is today. The newsletter is longer this time since a lot to report on covered bridges; Connie McLaughlin’s article about the Bucks County Safari is included. You should receive your newsletter by 10/13-14.
ILLNESS/DEATH of MEMBER(S): (1) Joe Calabrese’s kidney surgery was successful but needs course of chemotherapy. (2) Heather Watkins is having surgery October 6th for colon cancer. (3) Linda Finkelstein is having parathyroid surgery on October 4th. (4) Tom Walczak is doing better. (5) Frank Mailey goes back to the general surgeon tomorrow after he had part of a mass removed from his back that is severely infected.
Pam Heisey conducted the memorial service for the 9 members who died in the past year, ending in a moment of silence: Jeffrey Donat, Benjamin D. Evans, June R. Evans, Edith K. Flurkey, Chuck Knapp, Ellen Rogers, C. Edwin Shields, Richard D. Shultz and Doris J. Taylor.
(1) Bob Kuether reported 280 of the 2023 Calendars are sold with 17 on consignment; they are for sale at the back table.
(2) Pam Mailey reported there are various covered bridge items on the back tables; they are free, but you may make a donation. There are also miscellaneous shirts for sale; priced as marked, most are $3.
(3) Pam Mailey will present a PowerPoint program on covered bridges on Monday, October 17th at 6:30pm to the Red Land Women’s Club at the Red Land Community Library at Newberry Commons.
(4) Pam Mailey will present a PowerPoint program entitled “PA Haunted Covered Bridges” on Monday, November 7th at Red Land Community Library; all are welcome to attend.
(1) Judy Kuether shared that Sara Beth Kohut became a life member today. Congratulations to Sara!
(2) Bob Kuether shared that there is a drawing for the painted crock shown on the back table. Tickets are 3 for $1 and the winning ticket will be pulled at the December meeting.
(3) Bob Kuether said the Society will decorate Poole Forge Covered Bridge and the gazebo on Saturday, November 19th, starting at 9:30am. Volunteers are needed.
(4) Bob Kuether reported this will be the last year the Society will have a stand at the Christmas Show at the Harrisburg Farm Show in December. There is a new show owner and prices are increasing.
(5) Bob Kuether and Jim Smedley talked about our 2023 Safari. We need to decide on location by November’s meeting. Narrowed down to Greene County and West VA (safari in 2002); Adams, Cumberland, Franklin Counties, PA and Frederick County, MD (safari in 2004); W. Virginia (safari in 2011); or Northern VT which has 22 bridges close together.
COVERED BRIDGE ITEMS:
Michael Chorazy saw Saco River Covered Bridge in N. Conway, NH on the TV show, “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”. He also showed a book titled “Covered Bridges of NH” by Kim Chandler; although it sells for $40, it is very comprehensive and has good photography.
NEXT MEETING: The Officers will hold an Executive Board Meeting on Saturday, November 5th at Saint Paul Episcopal Church, Columbia starting at 9:30am. The next business meeting is at the church on Sunday, November 6th. We will have our bake sale and will collect items for the church’s food pantry. Program will be “PA Haunted Covered Bridges” by Pam Mailey.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The September 2022 minutes were approved as presented.
PROGRAM TODAY: “Our Society’s Year in Review” by Bob Kuether.
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 3:00pm.
Respectfully Submitted by Pam Mailey, Recording Secretary, October 20, 2022